Saturday, December 31, 2011

Fall 2011: 2nd half

Statistics for Managers: Robert Stinerock

"Just a warning: if you start studying statistics, you'll start to think that way - just don't talk to tour friends like that or they'll stop being friends with you!"

"Just acquire it: borrow it, buy it, steal it, whatever!" [explaining that it was important for students to get the book]

"The publisher told me not to give them to the students - so I'm not giving them to you; I just uploaded them on moodle…"

[After explaining that he used to study subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, and French Literature] "So go figure! That's why I'm doing this now: I wasn't good in any of those!"

"Let's make a cake, shall we? Here are the ingredients - pointing at n, sigma, x-bar and (1-alfa) - and this is the recipe" - pointing at the interval estimate of the population mean's formula

"I think we have more people over saturday night for dinner than at the 9.30 class…"

"Yes, part of it is math, but that's just part of the problem…!"

"Out here, in the trouble zone" [rejection region]

"So it's '20 after… And remember to brush your teeth tonight!"

"Nobody who thinks should be doing this…" [after spending a couple of minutes doing it]

"k is the number of independent variables, n is obviously the sample size, and then, 1… well, most of you know what that is!"

"mu (μ)... that sounds like something a cow would say!"



Marketing in a Dynamic World: Jorge Velosa

Prof: "So I ask you, what is the biggest driver for profit?"

Students: "Price."

Prof: "Duh!"


"If I assume that volume is fixed, I am killed."



Financial Management: Qinglei Dai

"'Pecking' is basically saying that managers are a bunch of chickens!"

No comments: